The Old Hall (self-catering) - Croscombe
Accommodation > Self Catering Accommodation
Church Street, Croscombe, Somerset BA5 3QS
The great hall of a vanished manor house
Originally part of a manor house built by Sir William Palton in about 1420, this building was, for 250 years, a Baptist chapel. It lies just north of the handsome parish church and looks into a small tranquil enclosure, part garden and part graveyard.
The living rooms are on the ground floor with bedrooms on the first floor. The great hall with its impressive roof is a sociable space for living and dining. The stoking of the large stove provides much entertainment, and some strenuous exercise.
During restoration, we found the great blocked arch of an oriel chamber, which once linked the hall to a vanished wing to the east. Beside it, a rare medieval light-bracket appeared, decorated with the arms of Sir William and his wife.
We turned the service end of the hall into bedrooms and kitchen, simple rooms of wood and stone. The surrounding village is quiet and is served by a good pub.
Lat/Long : 51.197491, -2.587613