About the Tourism Website / Terms & Conditions
This website is administered by the Wells Visitor Information Service and in 2015 attracted just over 12 million hits. Enquiries directly related to the website should be directed by email to email@example.com. For other enquiries about Wells and the surrounding area please contact our team on 01749 671770 or firstname.lastname@example.org - or drop into the museum on the Cathedral Green in Wells and see us!
The website was originally created by Daniel Collings at the ceramics business, Black Dog and we remain extremely grateful for the time and energy Daniel invested into promoting everything that Wells has to offer the visitor. Daniel had taken the initiative following the 2009 closure of the Wells Tourist Information Centre (TIC). Daniel was concerned by the closure and implemented his vision of an attractive and advertising-free website where local businesses directly related to tourism would not pay to appear on the site. Daniel also created the logo for the website and it may be freely used by anyone wanting to link back to the site. Large versions of the website logo can be downloaded from these links: JPG format (186kb) PNG format (186kb)
The team at the Wells and Mendip Museum was also concerned about the demise of the TIC and the volunteers at the museum and TIC together created the Wells Visitor Information Service which is now based at the museum. The Visitor Information Service worked in partnership with Daniel and assumed responsibility for this website when Daniel moved the Black Dog business to Bath in 2016. We are also grateful to Sherborne Web Design for helping us to take on this responsibility and supporting our work for Wells and the surrounding area!
In order for Daniel to build a great website it needed good content. Good images were required so a number of local professional and semi-professional photographers were contacted. Many of them have kindly donated some fantastic photographs to help show the beauty and diversity of this small part of Britain.
Would you like your business to appear on the website?
We welcome businesses to the website who are directly involved in tourism.
What we need from you to appear on the site:
- At least one photo or image at least 500kb in size in JPG or TIF/TIFF format (max. 6 images)
- Some promotional text
- All contact details
- Website address
- Email address (only published if there is no website link)
- If you have SAT NAV coordinates these can be added and this automatically links to Google maps
- If applicable, your site/feature can be plotted on one of the A4 printable maps
The Visitor Information Service is wholly volunteer-run and the museum is a charity which funds this site, so we must somehow retrieve our costs where businesses are not willing to work in partnership:
- For agents who would like to place accommodation, activities, events or anything else on behalf of individuals or organisations there is an annual fee of £75.00 per entry.
- For any individual or organisation not based in the Wells, Mendips or Somerset Levels area who would like to place accommodation, activities, events or anything else on the tourism site there is an annual fee of £75.00 per entry.
- For an individual accommodation provider located within the Wells Countryside Accommodation Map (pdf 177kb) we ask that they (i) provide a reciprocal link back to this tourism website from their own digital advertising and (ii) take leaflets providing information on the local area when requested. If neither of these is possible, we ask for a £45.00 annual fee to appear on the website.
Disclaimer - re Accommodation & Events
Every care is taken in compiling the website and terms and events are correct at the time of publishing. All information is supplied and published in good faith but Wells Visitor Information Service and Wells Museum cannot accept liability either expressed or implied in regard to any statement contained therein.
Inclusion on the website does not imply recommendation.