Burrow Mump (both words meaning hill) is an outcrop of Keuper Marl standing at a strategic point where the River Tone and the old course of the River Carey join the River Parrett. It probably served as a natural outwork to the defended royal island of Athelney at the end of the 9th century. A chapel dedicated to St. Michael and belonging to Athelney Abbey stood on its summit before the middle of the 13th century but was rebuilt several times since then. A square earthwork part way down from the summit indicates that the Mump had military significance. It was garrisoned by Royalist forces in 1642 and 1645 during the Civil War, and a detachment of the King’s army occupied it in 1685 during the course of the Monmouth Rebellion. In 1793 the attempt at total rebuilding on a smaller scale ended in failure to collect enough money, and a church for the community was built instead at the foot of the hill in 1838.
Lat/Long : 51.070516, -2.916117